Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Importance of "Getting It"

I'm prepared to admit that I'm not a very creative guy. My previous project was an RPG based on the Oz stories of L. Frank Baum. Derivative works just ooze from my pores.

If there's one thing that separates me from any other schmuck out there is that I get it. Or at least, I try very hard to. Some people, when you mention the idea of "Better Than Rifts", they will say, "Sure, there are lots of games that are better than Rifts." So my job isn't that hard, right?

Wrong. Project BTR isn't about making a game that's better than Rifts. It's about making a game that does everything that Rifts does and does it better than Rifts.

There are a lot of licensed games out there that fall short of the mark. One that stands out is the Red Dwarf RPG. Yes, there was a RPG based on a British sci-fi sitcom. And it was a very traditional RPG, with combat rules and gear lists (derived from the show, at least) but no real support for comedy gaming. No wonder I picked it up in the bargain bin. The guys who wrote it may have loved the show, but they didn't get it and they weren't able to convey it to their readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment